Sunday, May 24, 2009

Accidental Discovery

So I had a chunk of Mom's amazing homemade, wholewheat bread left and I decided I needed some bread and milk for dinner. I don't get to have it very often because we don't have hardy old-fashioned bread around very much, that will hold up in milk and not just turn to dough. Jill makes mom's half-white, half-wheat bread and does a great job of it, but its usually a little softer than mom makes it. Its great for everything, except bread and milk.

But the last of Mom's loaf that she sent down with Trav, was just calling out to me. I had to cut off a few slices to get it down to a portion that would fit in a bowl, when broken up. I put those back in the bag and broke the heel up. I started looking in the cupboard for some raisins and pecans, but all I could find were some craisins. If you don't know what those are, they're like raisins, but instead of a grape that's been dried, its a cranberry. Now I'd never had these "craisins" until I married Jill, and don't particularly care for them when just eaten plain. They sorta have a strange aftertaste that's unique to cranberries.

I was desperate though... I just wanted a good old fashioned bowl of bread and milk. Come to think of it, there was probably bell peppers in the fridge, but I guess I've never been that old fashioned. So I threw some craisins in my bowl. And guess what? It was amazing! I might even go as far as to say that craisins on bread and milk is actually better than raisins.

I know, I know, "better? could it really be better?" you're asking. Well it might just be. The craisins are still sweet like the raisins (I think the drying process brings out the sugars a lot) but they also have a tart-twist that I think just really completes the bowl of bread and milk.

Funny thing is, Jill doesn't believe its good. I think being raised on store-bought bread has ruined her. She can only imagine dough and milk, since that's what would happen with all manufactured breads. Then today in Sunday school, she showed our youth "The Windows of Heaven" video. In it, President Snow asks for "a bowl of bread and milk" instead of a full "supper" at the end of his long, hot journey to St. George. I looked at Jill and said "see." She told me that doesn't make it good. I told her that if a prophet says it, its true.

4 comments:

  1. That is great congrats on your new discovery. I hate to mention it but I like craisins better than raisins so I have had it with bread and milk. One of my favs is to put craisins in your salad that is good... you don't need as much dressing that way, but you do have to use a creamy dressing, the zingy ones just don't mix with the sweet all that well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good story!! I am glad that you enjoyed the bread. Thanks for writing that it was funny. Here's another piece of truth from a prophet. Brigham Young loved popcorn with cream on it.I like popcorn and milk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You knew all this time Bobbie, and you didn't tell us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The previous was actually me. I didn't realize that Jill was logged in.

    But I did want to mention I found our pecans for my second bowl (remember the two slices I put back?), and I must say the craisins were supper good again.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.