Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Washburn Crest


(I had some downtime at work and so decided to learn Illustrator better. This is the result.)

This is my take on the Washburn crest, which was given to Sir Roger de Washbourne (the first Washburn on record) when he was knighted by William the Conquerer in 1066.

The birds are Purple Martins, which are known for being a sign of spring (when they return, spring returns) and Easter. Legend says they tried to distract those who arrested Jesus, and that they comforted Him both in the garden and on the cross.

The altar shows a red flame, directly relating to the latin motto, "Purified, not Consumed."

(The three crosses and the silver band were on an image I found, but I haven't yet found a symbolic explanation.)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Trav the crest image didn't work, can you try putting it on there again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did you get my suggestions for change? You did a way good job, I just think a few things should be tweaked. Also, check out this web site: http://free-the-mallocs.com/genealogy

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.